Saturday, September 11, 2010

White Space ... a layout about a daddy and his baby girl ...

In all those years that I have been scrapping, I have always been a fan of 'white space' on layouts. Okay, I admit ... in the beginning I thought it always had to be actual WHITE space, but I soon realized

'white space' means: leaving space on your layout
and not filling every inch with embellishments, stamps or papers.

I believe 'white space' can actually add to the design and most of the time it brings focus on your picture (s) too. I made this layout using 'white space' as a part of the design. After I finished I also made a sketch, which shows clearly how there is lots of 'space' left. For some this is easy, for others ... it might freak you out! But ... if you're a scrapper that puts heaps of stuff on your layouts, I challenge you to go for plain, simple and 'white space' one time!

I wanted to have straight lines and some curves too to avoid a too boring look. I used an 11" x 11" inch sheet of white cardstock as my base. With a pencil I made half a heart shape to write my journaling on. In my head I already knew where the picture would be. I even put it on the layout while drawing the curved line to see if it would work out okay. I also created a doodled border around the white cardstock.

Using one of my favourite Tim Holtz stamps, I stamped a rectangle shape on the paper. The layout is about my daughter and my husband, so I wanted to add 'male' elements as well as 'girly' touches.

I didn't want this layout to be too predictable, so I rotated the white cardstock and stuck it on a 12" x 12" piece of patterned paper (from the Marrakech Collection by Basic Grey). This totally freaked me out, because I like things STRAIGHT!
I added a mat around my photo and stuck it on a piece of striped paper (Marrakech Collection, Cardamon) to emphasize the colours of the photo.

I used the Marrakech Alphabet Stickers for my title and I finished the layout by using a border and some stickers from the Marrakech Elements Sticker Sheet.

8 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

Supergave LO! En ik ben ook gek op "witte" vlakken!

Liefs Gwendolyn

Francine said...

Ingeborg - this is lovely. I have not yet been able to leave any white space on a layout. I certainly will have to challenge myself to do so!

Jolanda said...

Zo anders dan hetgeen ik tot dusver van je heb gezien, maar wel echt helemaal in mijn straatje.
Prachtig!

Ilonka said...

mooie lo! rustig en toch 'aangekleed'
x ilonk

Hanneke said...

Mooi!!! Ik hou ook wel van lege ruimte op een lo!!! Grappig dat je het zo "eng" vond om schuin te plakken, doe ik eigenlijk ook niet zo vaak, maar het staat wel super!!!

Ria said...

mooi Ingeborg!! Vooral dat achtergrondje en die swirl vind ik enig!!! Je maakt altijd van die prachtige layouts!xx

CĂ©line said...

Mooie layout! Ik ben dus niet zo van de 'white space' maar ik ga denk ik een keer de uitdaging aan!
Ik vind dit er dus superleuk uitzien!

Melinda Spinks said...

Adorable layout Ingeborg, and how gorgeous do they look together, nothing more precious than a dad with his girl.
Looks like you've worked out the 'sketch thing', congrats as they are wonderful and very inspirational.
Hope you have settled back home after your magnificent holiday, very envious indeed!