Saturday, November 14, 2009

Embellish This (week 5) : Owl Mini Album






Well ... I am through to the next round of the Embellish This competition! This week is the fifth week, which means it will end soon. I am still aiming to make it through to round six though!

I have spent quite some time in the last two days creating this owl mini album with quotes from Erma Bombeck. I love her quotes and they always bring a smile to my face. Owls are associated with wisdom and many of her quotes are very wise too. I wanted to make something ‘funny’, but still meaningful. I tied a little charm to the handle saying: ‘made with a smile’ (see close up photo collage).

So … let’s describe all the details to make sure I followed the rules (click here to check all the rules for week 5):
• I used a part of a toilet roll to create the eyes of the owl. This was the very first thing I did for this project; cut two rings of a toilet roll to create eyes. I obviously painted them black too;
• I used a silver patty pan at the top of the owl. I also cut a tag out of foil (see close up photo collage for this);
• I used at least three visible ‘paper clippings’: you can see staples, spiral paper clips, brads and little wooden pegs all through the album (please see other photos for all the details);
• I stuck a copper handle on the spine of my handmade book;
• I used a number of tags in the book (see close up photos);
• I distressed the project by inking lots of edges, roughing some of the paper with sand paper and using ‘distress’ stamps (like the coffee spills) from Tim Holz;
• I used a ‘traditional’ book binding method to bind my book (see photo collage for details);
• I stamped circles throughout the album (to fit with the ‘dotted’ and circles on the patterned paper);
• I stitched a few bits and pieces here and there (see close up photos);
• I did not use ANY FLOWERS on the project (believe me, that was almost the hardest challenge for me)!

These are the quotes that are featured in the little album (in case you got curious):

• People shop for a bathing suit with more care than they do a husband or wife. The rules are the same. Look for something you'll feel comfortable wearing. Allow for room to grow.
• Spend at least one Mother's Day with your respective mothers before you decide on marriage. If a man gives his mother a gift certificate for a flu shot, dump him.
• Guilt is the gift that keeps on giving.
• My theory on housework is, if the item doesn't multiply, smell, catch on fire or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one cares. Why should you?
• Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.
• Giving birth is little more than a set of muscular contractions granting passage of a child. Then the mother is born.
• When mothers talk about the depression of the empty nest, they're not mourning the passing of all those wet towels on the floor, or the music that numbs your teeth, or even the bottle of capless shampoo dribbling down the shower drain. They're upset because they've gone from supervisor of a child's life to a spectator. It's like being the vice president of the United States.
• Before you try to keep up with the Joneses, be sure they're not trying to keep up with you.
• I never leaf through a copy of National Geographic without realizing how lucky we are to live in a society where it is traditional to wear clothes.
• Marriage has no guarantees. If that's what you're looking for, go live with a car battery.
• Mothers have to remember what food each child likes or dislikes, which one is allergic to penicillin and hamster fur, who gets carsick and who isn't kidding when he stands outside the bathroom door and tells you what's going to happen if he doesn't get in right away. It's tough. If they all have the same hair color they tend to run together.
• When your mother asks, "Do you want a piece of advice?" it's a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway.
• When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

2 comments:

Cora said...

hey hey super leuk boekje zeg!! maar zou je me aub iets kunnen uitleggen??? hoe krijg je de binnekant bekleed zonder dat het gaat bobbelen en loslaten?? met name dan de 2 bewegende delen rug - kaft??? dat is dat stukje geel wat jij hebt.... ik heb al vaker geprobeerd maar het is een ellende zeg 1 grote bobbel haha...

Ingeborg Dijkstra- Verbeek said...

Cora ... sorry, maar ik begrijp je vraag niet zo goed, want ik heb geen geel gebruikt voor dit boekje? Maar ik kan je wel vertellen hoe ik het doe, misschien snap je mij dan wel ;-P !
Ik gebruik een lijmstift (Pritt) over de hele kaft en aan de randen ook nog dubbelzijdig plakband. Dan rol ik er met een roller (ik heb de zogenaamde 'Inky Roller Brayer van Ranger' maar elke roller werkt, hoor!) een behoorlijk aantal keer over heen. Helpt dit? 'k Hoop het!