Monday, October 19, 2009

Embellish This Competition - WEEK 1

I received an email from a friend of mine, Tanyah Payne, to participate in a competition she is running on her site. It runs for six weeks and I quite liked the idea of creating one layout / project every week for six weeks. The competition is called: Embellish This and the first challenge is to:

* Create a layout/project about a loved one
* Must journal about what you love about them
* Create your own flowers on your layout
* Must use beads
* Must use felt
* Must use fabric
* Must use a doily

Important NOTE: no commercial flowers allowed please.

This is the layout I made yesterday. I created my own flowers out of felt (see instructions below). I used three wooden flower beads as 'dot points' for the three things I love about my daughter (see close up photo). I used a fabric label for the title. I cut the middle out of the doily to make a photo frame. I hand stitched a border around the layout and I added some stitched swirls as well. Instead of thread I used wool. This is the end result:


INSTRUCTIONS to make the felt flowers (see photo collage below):

  1. Cut a circle out of felt. Mark the middle and three spots.

  2. Stitch from the middle to the three marked dots and gather the felt. Make a knot each time you gather the felt to secure it.

  3. Cut a pentagon. I didn't measure it exactly; I just randomly cut a shape with five sides. Mark the middle and five dots ( a dot in the middle of each side).

  4. Stitch from the middle of your shape to each dot again.

  5. Stitch on each side and gather.

  6. Put the two shapes together.

  7. Finish of with a button. Done!

0 comments: